Hobbs of Barbican


British builder (two brothers, Albert and Joe) with production from about 1933 to 1953. They were known for excellent quality, sound designs, and superb finishes. Hobbs also produced some light alloy components, known as 'Lytaloy'. Hobbs introduced fancy lugwork a decade before Hetchins. For more detailed information on the marque, please visit Classic Lightweights.

The bike featured below is a Super Course model, made in 1949. The frame is filet brazed and bears original paint and transfers. The components include: Osgear, Stronglight cranks, TA rings (46, 35), Chater Lea Pedals, Brooks Swallow saddle, Sturmey 4-sp hub; Lytealoy [sic] brakes, co2 pump (very rare), and head set; Airlight front hub; Titan stem, Reynolds Pelissier bar; Cyclo front mech. Owner: Peter Lowry. The spear-points indicate it to have been the Super Course model.























The bike featured below is the only known surviving Hobbs Taper Tube. The seat and down tubes bulge noticeably at the bb shell. The spectacular purple paint with intricate red lining was done by Argos of Bristol.
Michael Fletcher the previous owner relates the following: Built in 1936 for Walter Becker to his own measurements, he was a member of Streatham Hill C.C. He was a Flight Sergeant in the R.A.F. and was killed in enemy action. He left the bike, in his will, to Tom Dowden, a fellow club member, the only other rider in the club tall enough to ride it. Michael Fletcher bought the bike from Tom in 1980. He had it enamelled by Allins of Croydon probably in the 1960s; Hobbs of Barbican transfers were not available so they settled for Blue Riband livery. The current owner, Peter Lowry, bought it in 2012 and had it resprayed by Argos of Bristol. The frame has a 23 1/2 inch taper seat tube, a 23 inch taper down tube, 24 inch top tube, 7 inch head tube, a 43 inch wheelbase and a 10 inch bottom bracket height, 73 deg. head and 69 deg. seat angles.



















The bike featured below belonged to Albert Hobbs, Forest CC [Cycling Club].